• Preservatives
  • Pesticides
  • Hormones
  • G.M.O.'s
  • Irradiation

ORGANIC...???

Organic is a win-win for both the farmer and the consumer.
To the farmer,"organic' means good soil.
To consumers "organic" means healthy food.

Listed in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary (1917 edition) are 6 different definitions for the term "Organic". No. 5 reads, "involving, producing or dealing in foods produced without the use of laboratory-made fertilizers, growth substances, anti-biotic's or pesticides".To that list of no-no's, may be added sludge,sewage, genetic engineering or irradiation.

Although the "organic" label is often perceived as being more healthful,or as just being more better, "Organic-USDA Certified" has a specific definition. Set in 2000 by the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, "Organic" farms undergo a rigorous certification process and are inspected for compliance by independent agents.

Organic products are labeled according to the percentage of organic ingredients in the product. To be labeled...

  1. 100% Organic- USDA Certified (Seal), a food must contain only organically produced ingredients.
  2. "Organic", at least 95% of the ingredients must be organic. The other 5% must be ingredients approved by the USDA certifying agency. The USDA "seal" can be applied to this label.
  3. Products with at least 70% certified "organic' ingredients can be labeled as "made with organic ingredients".However, a product can list any ingredient as organic, as long as it meets the organic definition.....(more details are at www.ams.usda.gov/nop.)

Not to be confused with "organic", more and more products are being touted as being "natural". We would all like to think that something labeled as "natural" is better for us, but there is no guarantee of that. According to the USDA, products labeled "natural" must be free of artificial flavor, coloring or chemical preservatives, but it seems that everything from 'chips' to white bread is 'natural". Products labeled as "natural", may still include genetically modified organisms (GMO's), growth hormones and synthetic fertilizers.

When people buy "Organic" products,they are making a significant and conscious choice to improve their health and the environment.

"Going Organic" is one more way to make a difference both in your health, the world today and for the future.